Thursday, November 14, 2013

Ful Me Twice....

Today I made ful medames again for my husband Eric and myself, using the expensive, canned small fava beans I found in the ethnic food section at Wegmans.  Once more, Eric confirmed that the result was passable; not so awful he'd refuse to eat it, but not so tasty that he'd beg me to make more.  

However, I was disappointed in the results.  Using the small favas did indeed eliminate the problem of thick bean shells ruining the experience.  On the other hand, I didn't like the taste of these beans as well as I'd liked the taste of the first batch.  They have a heavy earthy flavor quite unlike the large beans I'd eaten previously, and I do not like that flavor nearly as much as I did the flavor of the large beans. 

Now that I know not all favas taste alike, I may indeed try to make ful from Great Northern beans and see what happens.  That would be a low-cost option since I can get those beans cheap, either dried or canned.

No comments:

Post a Comment