After years of speculating about doing it, I have finally put on a rabbit-and-barley pot, using the same recipe I have used for my other barley pots. I've talked about my earlier experiments with it here, here and here. It's a recipe that's more or less consistent with what we know of Anglo-Saxon cooking.
This time, I followed the recipe almost exactly as I found it, except: 1) I added the sage with the other vegetables; 2) I left out the vinegar, and 3) I've wrapped my rabbits in cheesecloth, so that I can pull them out when the stew is done and remove the bones. I browned the meat and sauteed the vegetables in a skillet before moving them to my crockpot, instead of doing all the frying and simmering in one pot (more practical if you are using a cauldron or soup pot to cook in). I will provide an update after the stew is done and my husband and I have had an opportunity to taste the results.