Thursday, August 18, 2022

Mustard Eggs?

A long while ago, I downloaded a short book by Volker Bach called "Plain Fare."  It is meant to provide a resource for SCA folk who want to add documentable, relatively easy recipes to their repertoire for outdoor events where kitchen space is limited and many conveniences (such as refrigerators) are not available.  A copy of the book may be downloaded for free here.

Recently, I've been re-reading Plain Fare and noticed a recipe that is not only easy to make, but that I thought I'd like:  "Eggs in Mustard Sauce."  It appears in a late sixteenth-century cookbook called "Ein new Kochbuch / Marx Rumpolt; mit einem Nachwort von Manfred Lemmer" ["A New Cookbook / Marx Rumpolt; with an Epilogue by Manfred Lemmer"].   The recipe itself consists of taking hard-boiled eggs, slicing them up, frying them in butter, and stirring some mustard into the pan before serving.  It's meant to be eaten immediately after cooking, while still hot. 

So I tried it.  The part about frying the eggs in butter was great, but unfortunately I used Dijon mustard and the result was too sharp to be pleasant, at least for me. Bach's redaction suggested using a "mild" mustard; next time, I'll use a honey mustard instead and see how that comes out.

---------------------------------------------------

P.S.  Sorry to have fallen behind on updating this blog, but I had a good reason:  my husband was diagnosed in June with stomach cancer.  Fortunately, it was a type of tumor that is very slow growing, and had not spread.  So he had surgery in July to remove it, and is now recovering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment